Sunday, October 19, 2014

Are ER doctors creating addicts?

Emergency room physicians are generally well trained and competent to handle life threatening illnesses. However they can become flippant with what they consider minor illnesses.

In Texas, I cannot excuse the physician who saw that Ebola patient and did not take a proper history. It was his job to ask about travel history! I still remember one of my professors (I guess McGill was a better school) saying that history was 90% of medicine; and MD stood for Medical Detective!

I often see patients who have come from the ER or an orthopedist on very potent and addictive narcotic drugs for pain that could be controlled better with non-narcotics. Without proper follow up these physicians do not realize how many patients can become drug seekers.

In a recent survey of US emergency rooms, researchers discovered that narcotic drugs were prescribed for headaches 35% of the time in 2010, as opposed to 21% in 2001. In addition, most recommendations would have that number at 10% or less.

When I had hernia surgery in the 80's I received a bottle of 30 percocets - I used 3. When I had knee surgery in the 90's I received prescriptions for 90 narcotic pills; which I never ended up using. Without my medical knowledge I might have taken them thinking they were important in recovery.

This kind of activity needs to stop, and if you are given narcotics please use them sparingly

No comments:

Post a Comment