Sunday, November 20, 2016

The Narcotic Epidemic

The country is in an epidemic of narcotic abuse. Aside from heroin, the prescription drugs, such as OxyContin, have become more and more abused.

I am told that a 90 pill prescription here in Las Vegas costs about $200, but can sell on the street for almost $3,000.

In November 2014 I had a bicycle accident and needed quite a few stitches. As I was leaving the ER I was handed a prescription for 90 OxyContin pills. Not only did I refuse the prescription, but I never needed even one pain pill.

So what is going on. Once again I point the finger directly at the pharmaceutical companies. Here we have a potent and very addictive drug whose use should be extremely restricted to the most severe pain (for my injury perhaps a mild codeine would have been the maximum). But that doesn't make much money.

Below is an expose about what really happened when Abbott marketed the drug so that sales went from 49 million to 1.6 billion in 6 years. Unfortunately most doctors are susceptible to sdvertising - that's another problem!





No comments:

Post a Comment