Monday, March 3, 2014

Vitamin C and E - Unhealthy and Harmful

Vitamin C and E - More bad news

many of us often neglect the possible downsides to vitamins and supplement - most often without proper evidence. How many know of someone who insists the high dose vitamin C prevents colds - even though there is nothing to back that up.

Even I have been guilty when I have counseled patients that I have never heard of any harm coming form it - even though I thought it would not help.

Unfortunately I was wrong. Both Vitamin E and Vitamin C have been shown in studies to hinder the metabolism of sugar and raise the risk of Alzheimer's disease. These also shown, by way of blocking sugar metabolism, to prevent the benefits of exercise training. Those who took vitamin C and E did not show any improvement in cardiac fitness after a 3 month program while those who did not did get more fit.

Supplements can hurt you.

No comments:

Post a Comment